As the resident father of a daughter here at the First Time Father Project, I feel obliged to share (humblebrag) what I bought for my 4-year-old this Christmas.
Here’s a quick list:
- Toy basketball hoop for her room
- Soccer goal that doubles as indoor/outdoor hockey net
- Her first baseball bat (Easton, pink)
- A bucket of baseballs
- Hitting tee
- A bin to keep all these items as requested by mom
- She’s excited to play more sports (she’s already started soccer and gymnastics)
- Girls don’t ONLY need dolls, kitchenettes and princess stuff
- These are things that she’ll want to play with me
- These are things that I’ll want to play with her
The true reason for this post — aside from showing how awesome of a dad I am — is to show that little girls can and should expand their horizons. Don’t limit them to “girl” toys and certainly don’t limit boys to items typically reserved for them. Will she play with them? Maybe, definitely as much as she will have played with whatever girl-oriented presents I got her.